Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gifts from Curt

Back last May, when I first met Curt, I updated my status on Facebook to say "I would love a Mocha Frappe' from McDonald's right now."  A few minutes later, a chat popped up on my Facebook account from none other than Curt Davis.  Basically, he said, "Hey...I can probably bring you something from McDonalds."  He called a few minutes later to find out where I lived and soon thereafter, he was at my door with a Large Mocha Frappe'.  The boy won my heart in the very beginning.  We stood outside for a long time that night and talked.  Between meeting him at Godfathers and sitting and talking with him at Mariachi's on two different occasions, we had talked about a lot of stuff.  He asked me that night, "Of all the stuff I've told you about me and my past, what scares you the most?"  I looked him straight in the eye and said, "the fact that you're still married."  Of course, he had heard my story by then too and knew where I stood on adultery.  Even though he was separated, I didn't feel comfortable with the situation.  He took a deep breath and said, "Is that all?  Because I can fix that."  Before he left that night, he hugged me and said, "You are so little" and I almost choked on my Mocha Frap.  I said, "There is nothing about me that is little!"  He said, "In my arms, you feel little."  Okay, so that was the second thing that won me over - LOL. 

The mocha frap was the only thing I received from Curt until after we started dating.  On my way to work, one November morning, I sent a picture of my windshield.  It was a yucky, snowy day and I could barely see through my windshield because my wiper blades were not doing their job.  He called me later that afternoon, and asked if I was going to be in a hurry to pick up Edison after work.  I told him that Edison would be with his dad.  He said, Okay then, stop by the shop on your way home, I've got something for you.  I really had no idea what that was about, but I was intrigued.  I stopped by and he came out with two brand new Bosch windshield wipers!  He installed them and they are the best windshield wipers I have ever had.  After he installed them he said, "These are not the cheap crap you've had on there...these are $40 wiper blades, so don't be turning them on when your windshield is frozen, okay?"  I told someone that he has spoiled me to expensive wiper blades.  It's kind of like using CoverGirl make-up and then being introduced to Clinique or Estee Lauder...you just never go back to CoverGirl! 

Curt hated that I chewed my nails.  I chew them bad...not a speck of white nail left when I get finished.  He kept telling me that I should get fake nails and I kept telling him they were too expensive. 

When I returned from my horrible trip to China, as soon as I got in the car at the airport, he handed me a gift certificate to Royal Treatment Salon and Spa and said "Happy Valentine's Day...this should take care of some acrylic nails for a time or two".  It did!

The night after I got them, he was driving my car as we we went out to eat in Danville.  My sister and I were texting back and forth and she sent a picture of a ring she had bought herself in Gatlinburg.  She called as soon as she sent the pic and Curt could only hear my side of the conversation.  I said "that's what I need, now that I have pretty nails, is a ring"  Curt said "Nawnonononono!"  I cracked up and said "Chill out Curtis!  I don't want another left handed ring but one would look really nice on this hand, don't you think?" I still haven't found that right-handed ring that I want...but I keep looking and one day...I will find it.  It's a ring that I want to pick out...and I am hoping to find one while I have these nails. 

The owner of Royal Treatment, knowing that Curt paid for my fill-ins, took care of the fill-in I was due the week he died.  I don't want to give them up...but I may have to.  It would be really great if I could give up chewing on them...but with the stress I'm under, I don't think that's possible! 

I told Curt he was turning me into a high-maintenance woman...something I had NEVER been.  He didn't seem to mind. I figured if he wanted to spend some of his money on me that I wasn't going to stop him.  I was enjoying being spoiled because it was something I had never really experienced.   

One night, we were sitting at my house watching a movie and out of the blue he said "Next thing I'm buying you is a tanning package." I just glared at him and asked, "is there anything about me that you like?"  His response was..."I like everything about you except the fact that you chew your fingers to the quick and I don't think it would hurt for you to have a little bit of a tan."  [insert the mischevious look in his blue eyes and the big ol' laugh], knowing he was gonna be in trouble with me! 

While he was "in trouble" he went on to tell me that he didn't want me in those "stupid capri pants" all summer - LOL.  I said, "um...those are to hide my fat legs" and he said "i like your fat legs and I don't think they're fat."  Looking back, I think he must have been blind, but I really don't care...like I've said before...Curt Davis made me feel good about me.  And now that he's gone, I find myself questioning all those silly things that made my self-esteem plummet in the first place.  I miss having him around to do nice things for me, to say nice things to me....  I had never had anyone who cared about how something made me feel.  Of course a girl wants pretty fingernails.  Of course she wants to be told that she's beautiful.  He liked me for me and the only things he wanted to change were things that could be easily changed.

MEMORY FLASH - Curt singing James Blunt's song "You're Beautiful" completely off key and obnoxiously loud!  We ended up going to his laptop to find the video because we couldn't remember the words.  He sang it for two days until I finally said "would you please quit singing that song? because it's a great song and you are butchering it!" and then a few minutes later...I would be singing it because it was stuck in my head (like now!)   

He told me once...you know one of the things that I like most about you?  He asked me this a lot.  I would always say, "Yes, I know one of the things that you like most about me...but tell me something else."  One time, he said, "When we are together on the weekends and have all the kids, you are like in MOM mode.  You are cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry, running with the kids, trying to make them mind, and you are a damn good mom and then on the nights that it's just me and you, you chill out and you act you are 17 years old again, without a care in the world."  He said "You grew up too fast and missed out on too much when you were that age."  He was right.  I got married young, and although Wasband and I waited to start a family...we took on a lot of responsibility and acted like "old people" way before we should have!  I miss acting like a 17 year old, Curt!  It was so nice to be with you and act like nothing else mattered in the world, because when I was with you...that was really all that mattered. 

1 comment:

  1. No wonder you fell for him!!! Just remember although it was Curt who made you feel so special and loved it is YOU that will responsible for your happiness from this moment on. I will be forever grateful to that man for bringing such a smile to your face!!
    Love you
    Kathie
    4 years ago on May 19th YOU brought a huge smile to my face!!
    May be contacting you soon....

    ReplyDelete