Sunday, August 15, 2010

I'm Moving to Bali!!!

I invited my sister, today, to go with me to see Eat, Pray, Love starring Julia Roberts. I remember when the book was released several years ago seeing the author, Elizabeth Gilbert, interviewed by Oprah Winfrey and enjoying her story. Although I thought her story was interesting, I didn't even think about reading the book because I couldn't relate to her story. At that time in my life, I thought I had a happy marriage that would last until death did us part. I had no desire to travel the world in search of myself, good food, my spiritual self, or a new love, because I was HAPPY with what I had.

After separating from Wasband, I read lots of books on how to fix your failing marriage, how to deal with divorce, and how to move on. I highlighted and dog-eared pages and pages of several different books, including the Bible. While searching bookshelves at my favorite bookstores, I picked up Eat, Pray, Love on more than one occasion. I would try to start reading it, but every time I tried, I would think about how I didn't want this book to apply to my life. I can't drop everything and travel the world in search of myself! Why bother with a book like this??

After seeing the movie today, I wish I would have given the book one more chance before seeing it on the big screen! I could definitely relate to more than one of the characters in the movie and I now want to read the book.

Since my divorce, I have wanted to escape reality to try and figure out who I am. I have craved alone time. Oh, I have people who think this aloneness would lead to depression and do me no good, but I think it could be amazing! I could handle getting away to spend time with myself, getting in touch with my inner me, my spirtual self, enjoying good food, making new friends and embracing newness in my life. Packing my belongings into storage and taking a year to find myself is not possible with the many responsibilities I have here at home. Unlike the author of this book, I have children who NEED me and I NEED them and it would do none of us any good to be separated for a year.

I don't want to give up too much about the movie for those of you who plan to see it, but Eat, Pray, Love took a woman to Italy to eat, to India to pray and finally to Bali to find love. Along the way she discovered herself and how to balance her life while also learning that sometimes the most important things throw you off balance and that's okay. I laughed and cried and pondered many of the statements made in the movie. I can definitely relate to this story NOW!

So, why am I moving to Bali, because according to the movie, Bali is where you need to go to heal a broken heart following divorce. And if you can find what Julia Roberts found while she was there, then I'm all for moving to Bali!!! :-)

Go read the book or watch the movie, or do both, and let me know what you thought of it...

2 comments:

  1. I could not get into the book. Now though I am going to look for it in Singapore at Borders and buy it so I can read it before the movie comes to Japan. They always come later here. You inspired me to try to read it one more time. And I have been to Bali - it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I've read the first 30 pages of the book and I've already laughed, cried and nodded my head in painful agreement more than once. Definitely give it another try.

    ReplyDelete