Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I've been on a READING RAMPAGE

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. I absolutely LOVE to read. My favorite author is Nicholas Sparks. I had to quit reading him once upon a time because he was so darn romantic that it made me SICK! I became mad at my then husband because he was NOTHING like the romantic men characters in Nicholas Sparks' novels. How can a man be that "in tune" with romance and love and write stories the way he does? I saw him interviewed on a morning news show one time and the anchorwoman asked him if he was THAT romantic in real life? His answer was something similar to hey, I've been married to the same woman for x number of years and we do have 5 children together. Hmmm? That didn't convince me but I'm thinking that if he can write the mush, he must be able to live it! I hope so anyway, for himself and his wife :-)

I have avoided watching the Twilight movies because I wanted to read the books first. I finally began reading them about a month ago. I finished Twilight and immediately began New Moon, went on to Eclipse, took a side step to begin reading "He's Just Not That Into You" and then read Breaking Dawn. I have learned while discussing the Twilight movies with the many fans, that most movie fans are on Team Jacob while the ones who have read the books are Team Edward. Non-twilight-fans will probably not understand this concept. I must say, after reading all the books and watching Twilight, I'm still an Edward fan but anxious to see what might happen that will make me join Team Jacob. New Moon is on my DVD lineup for tomorrow night and I have promised my middle child that I will take her to the theater to see Eclipse this week. The bad thing is that we must patiently wait for the release of Breaking Dawn and I've heard that the book has been split into two movies!!!! I'm not sure I can wait THAT long :-(

Now, let's back up to my reading of "He's Just Not That Into You" which was written by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. The book inspired a movie which is pretty good as well but the book has LOTS of self-help information for single girls :-) I'm going to touch on some highlights I enjoyed in the book. Some of these statements are direct quotes. None of the following statements are my own ideas but were taken from the book. The ones I have chosen to add here however, do represent my thoughts :-)

On Cheating in General
  • Whatever problems may exist in a relationship do not merit having sex with someone else.
  • Men do not just slip and fall into a sexual relationship with someone else. They are planned with full knowledge that it could end your relationship.
  • If he's sleeping with someone else without your knowledge or encouragement, he doesn't like you all that much.
  • Lying, cheating and hiding is the opposite behavior of a man who loves you.
  • "If he has a problem with anything in your relationship, he's supposed to talk to you about it, not put-his-penis-in-a-strange-vagina about it."
  • "Let's call cheating what it is: a complete betrayal of trust. Cheaters are people who have a lot of stuff to work out and they're working it out on your time and with your heart."
  • There is no excuse for cheating.
  • Cheaters never prosper.
  • A cheater only cheats himself, because he doesn't get to be with you.
  • Men who cheat want you to know that they can never be trusted.
  • Suggestions on what your man could have done if he was unsatisfied in your relationship include (1) talking about it; (2) writing about it; (3) Singing about it; (4) texting about it; (5) putting on a puppet show about it. Please notice that sleeping with someone else is not listed!
On Cheating with a Married Man
  • If a man is married and having an affair, the person with whom he is having the affair with should take notice that (1) he's okay with being dishonest (nice!); (2) he's fine with cheating on his wife (super!); (3) he has no regard for his marriage (awesome!); and (4) he has no regard for you, because you're getting his scraps --- stolen time cloaked in shame!
  • Things seem a lot easier when your affair is with a man whose wife is an evil, yelling, insulting witch, but no matter what their relationship or circumstances are, you are still helping a man cheat on his wife.
  • Everyone deserves to feel a powerful and profound love but you should have it with someone who is actually yours!
  • There's plenty of guys out there. Why not get one of your own?
  • You want love and you want to be loved and you think you've finally found it. But he's married. Please try NOT to ignore this fact. There's simply too much at stake for everyone involved.
  • Don't be that girl :-)
On Friendship with a Guy
  • Beware of the word "friend" because it can often be used to excuse the most unfriendly behavior.
  • Guys don't mind messing up a friendship if it could lead to sex.
  • That cool girl still gets her feelings hurt :-(
  • Don't spend a lot of energy suppressing all your feelings so as to appear uninvolved, especially if you want to be involved.
  • If you're a person who enjoys a slightly satisfying phone relationship, talk on! Be his friend if you're at all interested on that level, but move your romantic inclinations onto a more suitable future husband.
  • Get rid of Booty Call and go find a man that can at least spring for a slice of pizza.
On Being Single and Lonely
  • There aren't many good men around and there are more good women than good men.
  • It seems logical to lower your expectations.
  • Being single sucks!
  • Other things about being single that suck include: sleeping alone, waking up alone, coming home to an empty house, doing every single boring errand alone, going to parties alone, not having sex, cooking and shopping for yourself, going to weddings, people asking why you're still single, people not asking why you're still single, people asking if you are dating, people not asking if you are dating, birthdays, holidays, being a single mom, carrying in the groceries by yourself, taking the garbage out, [I could go on, but I will spare you...]
  • It's really lonely.
  • According to this book, being alone sucks, but being with somebody who makes you feel like crap or doesn't honor the person you are, is worse.
  • You can crave companionship and sex and love so badly that it physically hurts!
Quotes and other truths from this book
  • Don't waste the pretty!
  • When it comes to men, deal with them as they are, and not how you'd like them to be
  • If he's not calling you, it's because you are not on his mind.
  • It's okay to suffer from the affliction of believing you can have a wonderful man love you and be wildly attracted to you.
  • Classy is walking away with your head held high, graciously, and with dignity.
  • There's a guy out there who's going to be really happy that you didn't get back together with your crappy ex :-)
  • You must believe there's something better out there.
  • Life is hard enough as it is without choosing someone difficult to share it with.
  • You deserve to be with someone who is nice to you all the time.
  • You already have one a**hole, you don't need another.
  • Breakups are hard but basically you have to feel the pain, go through the pain and then get over it.
  • Have faith! What other choice is there?
  • I'm already smart enough. I need a constant dose of happy now.
  • and my very favorite quote from the book ---
BETTER THAN NOTHING IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

3 comments:

  1. Love it Dana. Love reading your thoughts. Have you read any of Jodi Picoult? I like her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALso, have you read Eat, Pray and Love? THe movie is coming out this August with Julia Roberts. Great book. I think you would enjoy it. Also, Something Borrowed SOmething Blue? It was an easy read...I think I read it in 2 days with a baby around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shari - I've not read Jodi Picoult but I'll look her up. I've thought about reading Eat, Pray, Love but just haven't (like I said, I had given up reading for awhile) and I've added Something Borrowed Something Blue to my "list". Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete