Friday, June 1, 2012

My First Date with Curt...or was it?

So, here's the beginning of our relationship in a nutshell...we were introduced by my sister at Godfathers in May, we talked, we became friends, Curt was separated but still married, we stopped seeing each other, we remained friends, Curt got divorced, he dated other women, we ran into one another at the 1st Annual John Michael Montgomery CountryFest the end of September, Curt was dating someone, they broke up, we started talking, I asked him to go to the movies with me, he said he had asked someone else to meet him at Godfathers that night, he stopped by McDonalds because I was there eating with my mom and dad and some other people, told me he got stood up and said he would be at Godfathers if I still wanted to meet him, I went to Godfathers, we started talking again in October and as they say...the rest is history...but it was a little more complicated than that.

Curt made it clear, from the very beginning, that he was not looking for a relationship...so I put a cage around my heart.  From the time I first met him, I decided to follow the rule I had learned in the book "He's Just Not That Into You" which is ACCEPT A MAN FOR WHO HE IS AND NOT WHO YOU WANT HIM TO BE.  From the time I met Curt in May, I did everything on Curt's terms and it worked to my advantage.  I didn't call him.  I didn't text him.  When I saw him with someone else, I acted like it didn't bother me, and because of the cage around my heart...it really didn't.  God Bless my friends who heard all the complaints I made about him - LOL!  Because of my caged heart, I was okay being his friend, that's how I protect myself from getting hurt...I quickly put myself into the friend zone!  (I learned this by taking a quiz in Cosmo magazine.)  Luckily, I met Curt, and I started noticing that things were beginning to change and it appeared that he didn't want to stay in the friend zone.   

When I didn't text for a few days...he would text me.  If we hadn't talked for several days...he called me.  I kept my book "He's Just Not That Into You" close by and I realized that maybe he was "into me" but I still kept that cage around my heart.  Fast forward to Thanksgiving week, after we were talking on a very regular basis...he called one night and said, "I think I would like to take you out on a real date."  "Really?"  I asked.  "A real date?"  And he said, "Yep...I think so."  Well, according to He's Just Not That Into You, even though we were seeing each other on a regular basis, meeting at a bar is not a real date, gathering with friends is not a real date, and watching a movie at his house or mine is not a real date.  When you are not dating, it means that he is just not that into you.  Now...according to this book (which also became a movie), if a guy IS into you, he will ask you out on a real date.  Being a little leary, I asked him what he had in mind, and he said, "I don't know...dinner and a movie, I guess."  As it turns out, the only night we didn't have kids that week was Thanksgiving night.  I said, "you realize, we might be able to see a movie, but there will be no restaurants open that night and we probably won't be hungry" and then I reminded him that it was Black Friday and informed him that I always go shopping on Thursday night or Friday morning. 

Our first date was...get this...Black Friday shopping.  At Wal-Mart.  In Stanford.  At midnight.  WooHoo!  I didn't buy one thing!  He bought two laptops (one for himself and one for Gabby for Christmas) and a few other things and we ended up watching a movie at his house.   I don't know if that should really be considered our first date, because I don't think it technically fits the parameters of a "date"...but it's certainly a "date" I will never forget. 

I was talking to a friend of Curt's the other night and he said, "I knew you had hooked Curt when he told me he went Black Friday shopping with you!"

I had a bite, I set the hook, now it was time to reel him in!

(to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. Funny. Scotty was kinda the same way. And I was like you and tried to put up walls. I went by the book too LOL. I even had a "four day rule" haha. I would only let myself call him every four days. Looking back it seems ridiculous, but hey, I guess it worked!!!

    ReplyDelete