Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy S.A.D. Day :-)

Today is Single's Awareness Day. Some of you may call it Valentine's Day.  Others may refer to it as February 14th. Some may not care and just think it's another Thursday.  Some of you may call it an overly consumer rated Hallmark holiday.  Still others may be celebrating their wedding anniversary (I hear it's a very popular day to do this). Regardless of what YOU call it, I really dislike loathe despise HATE this holiday.  Happy SAD Day to me!

Pitiful...I know. Truly, the entire day is a reminder to single people everywhere that they are, in fact...SINGLE.  Television commercials about rings and things. Radio commercials about love and stuff.  80s love songs.  Movie releases by Nicholas Sparks...the true romance writer of today.  Shall I go on?  I've had no less than ten happily  married people tell me that today is "just another day."  I guess at one time in my life it was just "another day" to me too.  But then...I found myself divorced a widowed girlfriend single.  And for the past three years...it hasn't been "just another day", it's been a terrible reminder of being alone. 

Last year, I got a break from the loneliness because I was dating Curt.  But...guess what?  I spent the entire day on a plane, flying from China back to the USA.  By the time I arrived in Kentucky, it was February 15th and I was exhausted.  Curt met me at the airport with a hug and a kiss and a gift certificate for a massage and acrylic nails.  First time I had gotten a Valentine's gift since BEFORE my divorce but it wasn't on the 14th!  It was nice though :-)

Driving home from work today, I was listening to K-Love...you know...positive. encouraging.  K-LOVE??  Gary Chapman, author of the Five Love Languages was the guest speaker. I recalled taking the Love Language quiz years ago and my first love language is "Positive Affirmations".  I'm not sure if my 2nd one is gifts or good deeds or one of the others but...I like gifts on Valentines Day for sure :-)  Of course there was a message from K-Love reminding the single people that even though we might not have been given a box of candy and may not have received roses, that God loves us more than anyone and His love endures forever.  I know this...I teared up a little as they said it and I thanked God for loving me and once again prayed that if he isn't going to send someone in my life to at least take my desire to have someone...OUT.  Even with the prayers...it doesn't stop the fact that I would appreciate some candy or flowers or jewelry...or even a positive affirmation :-)

I wasn't a total scrooge...I wore red today.  And I did have fun exchanging "valentines" with a few friends via text message.  My boss gave me some candy and a ring that lights up and as we put them on, she and I made our attempt to dance and sing like Beyoncé to Single Ladies...you know the one...if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it?

To all of you who are married or have a significant other in your life...or heck...even a date on Valentine's Day...be happy about that and enjoy every moment!  Maybe you didn't get the kind of candy you like.  Maybe you wish he would not have spent so much on the roses.  Maybe you waited too long for your table at the restaurant. Maybe you wanted jewelry.  Perhaps you had to cook and clean the kitchen.  Perhaps you are sick.  Perhaps he is sick.  At least he's keeping you company...and believe me...when you have that and then it's gone (because of a breakup, a divorce or death) ...it means more than you can imagine. 

Here I sit...on this Thursday evening...blogging because it's the only therapy I can afford. My kids are with their dad.  The dog is in the other room because he stinks.  I fixed myself a cold sandwich, drank a bottle of water, and ate some mint chocolate chip ice cream and just finished watching one of my favorite movies...VALENTINE'S DAY.  Where there is an adorable little boy named Edison, where Patrick Dempsey plays a cheating husband and where two of the best looking actors in Hollywood end up being gay.  Happy SAD Day to me :-)

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry you are alone on Valentines Day...I thought of you today...you have such grace....but I know it must be difficult. Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete